Thursday, September 29, 2005

Dinner: Pumpkin and Lentil Stew

This dinner was really good. I have to use pumpkin a lot this time of year because it and Calaloo are the cheapest vegetables. Pumpkin is only J$65/kilo at the supermarket, compared to tomatoes at J$250. The ingredients were garlic, ginger, green pepper, onion, carrots, pumkin, curry powder, Jamaican all-purpose spice, black pepper, lentils, and vegetables soup stock. I cooked it all for about 1 1/2 hours. Very tasty and served with some wheat crackers. It would have been great with biscuits, but that would have been a lot more work and I don't have a pan. Now we have dinner for tonight already prepared in the old Kelvinator.
-Shane

1 comment:

Dirty Flamingo said...

Hey there! I'm glad to see you two can post so often, I've never been to the Caribbean, even though my parent were born in Cuba...so it's interesting.

Just wanted to mention that there is a Yahoo group for Peace Corps couples that I started that you two are welcome to join, as we need more memebers who are current volunteers. There is a nice group of 45 of us now and we'd love to have you!

Feel free to stop by and join up:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pc_couples/

adrianna (& will in spirit)
-dragging feet through medical

ps. pumpin is so yum. its been in season here in OZ since I moved here in feb and I've made everything from fritters to cake to risotto to curry. yum.